- Andrés Iborra and Carmen Vicente opened "El Elche" in 1959, the name was chosen in honour of the couple's hometown.
- This Bar-Restaurant in Barcelona's Poble Sec district was soon attracting numerous artists and show business
- celebrities, as well as the patrons of the theatres on Paral-lel. Dinners from Carmen's native region took a liking to her
- family recipes, and began to clamour for the classic rice dishes of the Levante, leading the Elche to become
- Barcelona's first restaurant to specialise in paella and rice. Over time, it's reputation spread beyond the surrounding
- district, and the whole city discovered the succulent delights of her cooking, while her two sons, Eduardo
- and Andrés took over the running of the business.